About Creative Play School
Creative Play School is a private, professional childcare center providing care and education to children from sixteen months through ten years of age. Our philosophy of learning through play is demonstrated in our curriculum which is inspired by the High Scope curriculum. Creative activities such as art, music, and creative movement are provided daily. Science, cooking, reading and math activities are incorporated into the children's weekly lesson plan. In addition, the school age program offers homework help, tutoring, soccer, and special programming during the summer camp. The center uses an integrated curriculum approach and children learn by doing or through planned play activities. This planned play is a child’s work.
We believe children need a safe, clean, and supportive environment in which to grow and learn. Individuality and self expression are valued and encouraged in children and staff. Children must be given the opportunity to grow and learn at their own pace, while learning to play and behave cooperatively as part of our school family. Therefore, the school day is a balance of planned activities and free time. Our goal is for every child to enjoy learning and coming to school as this is the groundwork for later success.
Parents are always welcome at the center. We believe that quality care is a partnership between family and school. Parents help us understand children's individual differences and are a vital part of our program. Your time and energy at school benefit all and build self-esteem and pride in your child.
Admission is open to all children. Parents and children must come in for an interview with the director before enrollment can take place. An immunization record and birth certificate are required before a child may attend school.
Creative Play School was founded by Diane Smalley in 1980 and has been family owned and operated ever since. Creative Play School is incorporated in the state of Virginia.
- An enriched program designed by early childhood education professionals
- Special field trips, computer learning, creative movement (dance), and daily, age-appropriate activities
- Foreign language instruction
- Professional staff who receive ongoing in-service training and education incentives for training
- Directors with years of experience and degrees in early childhood development
- Staff ratios that exceed licensing standards
- A summertime science and art camp with a community service component for school-age children
- Before and after school care for school-age children